Mary F. Smilek’s family has filed suit against Green Village Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and VRC Management, Inc. for the untimely and tragic death of their loved one.
Mary was admitted to Green Village in October of 2017. Mary was recovering from a broken leg and needed assistance in her recovering state. During her stay she developed a stage IV bedsore from a simple blister.
This occurs when wounds are not properly cared for. In Mary’s case, she was a victim of a lack of timely care and attention.
The sore became so large that staff could fit a fist inside of it. Furthermore, Mary developed several more sores and also suffered from severe dehydration and malnutrition.
By the middle of November the only thing that could be done is make Mary comfortable. Sadly, she passed on December 12, 2017 as a result of Green Village and VRC’s negligence and improper care.
You can read the full complaint here.[pdf-embedder url=”https://www.eadiehill.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Summit-County-Court-of-Common-Pleas-Time-stamped-Complaint-Smilek-Mary2018-12-6.pdf” title=”Summit County Court of Common Pleas -Time stamped Complaint (Smilek, Mary)(2018-12-6)”]
Underlying Causes: Below Average Care and Systemic Understaffing
It is apparent that VRC and Green Village have provided less than stellar care for Mary, but according to the lawsuit they knew that they were providing substandard care. They had rated much below average in relation to their health inspection rating and staffing.
This information was known by VRC and yet they continued to understaffed their facility. This is often done to keep costs low at nursing homes around the country.
It is a dangerous and cruel practice that allows nursing homes and management companies to make a larger profit while innocent people like Mary suffer and die painful, horrendous deaths.
According to the lawsuit VRC is accused of the following:
- Choosing to put inadequate prevention and response interventions in place to prevent skin breakdowns from occurring, from worsening, and from becoming infected;
- Choosing to provide inadequate resident observation, supervision, and monitoring;
- Choosing to provide too few, and / or underqualified nursing staff members for the resident needs at the facility to protect and provide adequate care to residents like Mary Smilek;
- Choosing to not provide accurate, adequate, or timely information to Mary Smilek’s family;
- Failing to provide adequate and timely care in response to Mary Smilek’s skin breakdowns;
- Choosing to violate state and federal regulations governing care and staffing levels in nursing home facilities by which residents like Mary Smilek are a member of the class of persons intended to be protected from injuries like those Mary Smilek suffered.
Who is VRC Management?
Andover Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 486 S Main St,
Andover, OH (http://www.andovervillagesnr.com/)
Concord Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 10955 Capital
Parkway, Concord Township, OH 44077
Falls Village Skilled Nursing& Rehabilitation, 330 Broadway St E,
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221 (http://www.fallsvillagesnr.com/)
Geneva Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1140 South
Broadway, Geneva, OH (http://www.genevavillagesnr.com/)
Green Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 708 Moore Road,
Akron, OH 44319 (http://www.greenvillagesnr.com/)
Northfield Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 10267
Northfield Road, Northfield, OH